Access to <span class="highlight">Cape</span> <span class="highlight">York</span> closed

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 18:21
ThreadID: 141262 Views:12054 Replies:11 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Indigenous elders deny tourists access to Cape York Tip over ‘disrespectful’ behaviour

Signs will be erected at the Jardine River ferry crossing, and tourists will no longer be permitted past the Croc Tent on Pajinka Road.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/indigenous-elders-deny-tourists-access-to-cape-york-tip-over-disrespectful-behaviour/news-story/604fb5a4f41f7f362ca8262331693353
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 18:46

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 18:46
Thanks Ozi

Once again idiots have buggered it up for everyone
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635613

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 20:51
It is just plain wrong that i cannot see my own country with my family
AnswerID: 635622

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:02
Sorry but that's a bad argument. You can't just go anywhere you like in most parts of Australia. All the land is spoken for and that's a fact.
FollowupID: 913229

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:25

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:25
Folks, don't get your knickers in a twist. I am up on the Cape at the moment, & there is a fair bit of frustration about this news story which has come from the infamous Cairns Post , and is a mix od deliberate lies & distortions of the truth. The paper is apparently known for much the same on an annual basis. Pic below shows the front page of yesterdays 'local' Cape York Weekly . Why the Cairns Post behaves in this way folk can decide for themselves, but I think it clearly has an agenda, part of which is to elicit responses similar to some already posted here. Be assured that the article in the OP takes things out of context, twists facts, & omits to tell the whole story in favour of an inflammatory headline.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 635625

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:38

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:38
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 913231

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:45

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 21:45
Have you made it to the Tip Cuppa?
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913232

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:05
No Stephen, roads are still cut, & our car is in Cairns. We were flown in to Lockhart River & are caretaking Portland House & the Out of the Blue cafe site in Portland Roads, & I'm the temporary postie for the folk here, collecting the mail off the plane in Lockhart twice a week. Not possible to cross the Pascoe River between here & the PDR yet, so we have to content ourselves with Portland Roads,Chilli Beach, Iron Range rainforest & Quintell Beach. We have the use of a twin cab Hilux & a Landcruiser - all fuel paid for. Tough gig but someone's gotta do it. :) We even have to force fresh crays & prawns down our gullets, straight off the boats! :)

FollowupID: 913233

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:08

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:08
Stop it, Cuppa! Stop it at once!

As for the Cairns Post - it's a Murdoch rag. What more could you expect?
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913234

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:41

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 22:41
Good on you Cuppa for posting something sensible to counter the fake news :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913236

Follow Up By: Jarse - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 04:44

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 04:44
Maybe it's a back-handed wake-up call that if behaviours don't improve, access may be lost?

That would be a tragedy.
FollowupID: 913239

Follow Up By: nick g1 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 06:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 06:17
How do you get a gig like that?
FollowupID: 913240

Follow Up By: sjp - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 07:31

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 07:31
agreed Jarse ,some hiking national parks in America you have to carry your rubbish and crap (poo) back out ,and if we have to pickup after our dogs ,i guess the same should apply with ourselves.
FollowupID: 913241

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 08:18

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 08:18
Must be the same as The Courier Mail :-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913243

Follow Up By: 2weis - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 08:59

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 08:59
Cuppa
Hope you dont mind , I have used your reply on another forum . Brian
FollowupID: 913245

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:09

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:09
nick g1. A fair bit of luck combined with some online self promotion & networking! This is our second time back here during the wet season. Last year was for 5 weeks, this year is for 10 weeks, & if suitable arrangements can be made a further 2 weeks at the end of this in a gorgeous absolute beach front bush property on Cape Weymouth (northern end of Chilli Beach) has just been offered to us. Our primary motivation has been seeing a part of the Cape lush green & tourist free. We are also negotiating what is still just at the possibility stage a flexible house sitting arrangement in Seisia later in the year which will enable us to base ourselves there for the dry season & explore the Cape in our Patrol & Tvan from the top down, as well as getting access to the islands & use of a boat. :) Fingers firmly crossed on that one. If it comes off it will be a very different experience of the rest of the Cape than most have during their Cape York trips. If it doesn’t pan out, we have already several places we can camp as we explore the Cape, where we can get away from the busy spots. Actually the thing which makes such things possible is our ability to travel slow & without time limit. Keeping our ears open for ‘interesting opportunities’ & having the flexibility to take them up. Once folk know you have ‘remote area experience’ & that you are in the area & available, offers seem to pop up now & then. Some work out & some come to nothing. Our approach is quite different to many house-sitters who *need* to go from one sit to the next as they have no other accommodation alternatives. We seek ‘experiences’ rather than simply accommodation , at least that’s how it has evolved to date since our first ‘word of mouth’ sit in 2018 (7 months 180kms north of Broome on Pender Bay) when we decided we enjoyed ‘stopping’ as much as we enjoyed ‘going’, & decided to try & do more of both.

FollowupID: 913246

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:42

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:42
Hey Cuppa, better change your name to 'Frypan' better still 'I need a big frypan'.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 913248

Follow Up By: nick g1 - Saturday, Mar 20, 2021 at 01:20

Saturday, Mar 20, 2021 at 01:20
Cuppa
Know exactly where you are. On our last Cape Trip, yrs ago, we walked north from Chilli Beach looking at all the old well set up , abandoned, hippy camps. On a previous, yrs before, Cape trip when we attempted to do the same walk but where told in no uncertain terms to get lost . This yr we spent a week at Pender Bay. Top spot. We hope to do simular things you do as we are permanently on the rd.
FollowupID: 913322

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 14:02

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 14:02
I attempted some enquiries on this to try to resolve the conflicting reports - the OP's and Cuppa's.

The Cape York Land Council is aware of the Cairns Post report but had no first hand info. They said ask the local tribal council referred to in the Cairns Post report. That is Gudang/Yahaykenu Aboriginal Corporation, website at this link.

After some investigation I also found the Corporation’s phone number. They don’t answer the phone, contact is by email only via the website, so no quick answer is available.

Perhaps if you're intending to travel, an email query via the website might be appropriate.

The Cairns Post article says in the body of its report:
[quote]
At an annual general meeting last Wednesday, Gudang/Yahaykenu Aboriginal Corporation chairman Michael Solomon said a proposal to pull the trigger on denying access was on the agenda, but a decision could not be reached, the Cairns Post reports.
[/quote]

Note the words "proposal to pull the trigger on denying access was on the agenda, but a decision could not be reached"

Presumably some Corporation members have proposed denying some access, while others have not agreed. You can't blame them, they're between a rock and a hard place. They need the tourist $$, but too many of those tourists are bogan crappers and environmental vandals. So no decision. It follows that the status quo remains, for the time being at least, as reported by the Cape York Weekly, front page and Page 7 at this link, and referred to by Cuppa.

In the absence of hard information, the screaming headlines in the Newscorp press that the Cape is closed would seem to be a misrepresentation of its own reporting and not indicative of the real situation.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635641

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 15:01

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 15:01
Good info Frank

I thought it important to get the message out there asap, it would be exceedingly disappointing to get there and not be able to take "that picture"

I have been there twice but I do know at least one and probably two who plan to go for the first time as soon as the Covid thing settles down.

I was feeling a bit sorry for them but then thought that a solution might be to have tours from the carpark, guided groups would help to reduce the damage a lot.

I do think that they need to install some sort of toilet there, by the time people get there, walk to the tip and then return to Bamaga there are going to those who simply must go.
FollowupID: 913259

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 16:37

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 16:37
I don’t really think the issue is necessarily from the car park and up to the tip, the issue is the whole area and the volume of people that go through the place.

With talk of a bridge over the Jardine and sealing the PDR there is only going to be more traffic
FollowupID: 913263

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 16:44

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 16:44
Further to my post above, I had a look at the Cairns Post website.

They have a number of items referring to the "closure", so they seem quite convinced. Perhaps there is more to it than Newscorp BS. I hope not.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913264

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 17:03

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 17:03
Some clarity would be nice! However just to throw something else into the mix, word around here is that Cairns post make an annual 'event' of upsetting folk with similar articles & claims. I make no claim to the veracity of that, just what I've been told.

FollowupID: 913267

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 17:31
The Cairns Post must be an exception. It's not common for Newscorpse to run outrage-provoking, hysterical, misinformed and intentionally misleading headlines and articles. Well, apart from the Courier Fail, Daily Bellylaugh, The Hun, ......
FollowupID: 913268

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 14:38

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 14:38
It is most definitely not closed. No decision about shutting it down to tourists has been made as of 18/3/2021.

Cairns Post is only second to the NT News for sensationalist articles which often have no bearing on the truth. I,d believe the Beetoota Advocate before Cairns Post
FollowupID: 913290

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:01

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:01
FollowupID: 913291

Follow Up By: Dusta - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:29

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:29
so is it closed or what ?

https://7news.com.au/news/social/cape-york-destinations-shut-to-tourists-c-2363898
FollowupID: 913292

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:46

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 15:46
Dusta....the info you posted is 2 days old..

It is not closed..
FollowupID: 913293

Follow Up By: Dusta - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 16:19

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 16:19
helps if i look at the date first huh lol
FollowupID: 913294

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:54

Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:54
As of 11:15 yesterday 18/03/2021 still in a state of flux the media release posted by Bigfish is on the Northern Peninsula Area Council's facebook page. Might be a site to keep an eye on for any factual updates.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913318

Reply By: Gary W3 - Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:36

Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:36
It's crazy that people think that just because they're Orstralian, they can go anywhere - any time! As posted earlier, virtually all land is owned and access is limited. This includes Aboriginal land. Or try getting into Pine Gap, mining leases, etc., for a look-see!
When there was a prohibition on climbing Ayers Rock, someone said they had no right to close it. It is Aboriginal land (which they share with us). They have a right to protect it. Some farmers allow restricted access to outback properties under their conditions, so why not indigenous owners.
Smacks of bigotry, selfishness and disrespect, methinks.
AnswerID: 635673

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 08:36

Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 08:36
These stories just reinforce our way of doing things!
Picking a what rubbish we can and leaving places cleaner than we arrived!
There’s always going to be the part of society making a F’n mess, but if others clean up , we can all look after our country .
Even though it’s not nice cleaning up others mess, once you get into it, it becomes satisfying to leave a place better!
AnswerID: 635701

Reply By: Member - Hawk - Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:46

Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:46
I don't in any way condone people trashing places and leaving rubbish where the drop it, but after living in and working on a few aboriginal communities I think that the First Nation people should clean up their own backyard and show some respect for their communities, and other people land, before wielding a big stick over the majority of travelers doing the right thing as well as adding to the coffers of the traditional owners.
AnswerID: 635703

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:12

Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:12
If this did happen I wouldn't blame them, on our current trip across the Eyre highway every road side stop and places we checked out to camp in has had heaps of toilet paper, rubbish and faeces strewn about.

Unfortunately most of the current crop of travellers are just lazy, dirty and don't give a dam and the situation is only going to get worse with the huge influx of new caravans and campers etc onto the roads.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635704

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021 at 17:30

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021 at 17:30
This arrived in my inbox yesterday.

And this today.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635727

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021 at 18:53

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021 at 18:53
It was never closed. Proposed yes, but agreed to no.

This media release issued today.

FollowupID: 913416

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 09:04

Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 09:04
THE TIP WILL REMAIN OPEN

I know that a lot of people have already heard the news, particularly the locals. But I am still getting lots of questions from hesitant travellers saying they have been starting to make alternative plans. There is no reason to do that as it has been confirmed by the local authorities that there is no aim to close the Tip.

Sorry that some wrong-doers have made this needing a mention: These newsletters are subject to the Law of Copyright - the only way to legally spread them is a link to this page or a proper Facebook share (cropping text and photos out of it to use them to build one's own Facebook post is ILLEGAL).

Traditional Owners raised their voice about disrespect, as there are no amenities at the Tip, and that was easy to turn into a media frenzy that not only confused the travellers but also threatened to damage local businesses. None of the locals want that, and facilities are being planned to be built at the Tip. Rest assured that it will not be closed so you will get to the sign and everywhere else as before.
AnswerID: 635752

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:28

Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:28
"the only way to legally spread them is a link to this page"

Bigfish,

Can you give us a link to that info/newsletter, please.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913436

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 16:46

Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 at 16:46
I receive it as a newsletter. I have copied it..More info at botto of the pages. Its a hany e-book for anyone wanting to travel to the cape with a lot of info. Hope it helps. The author lives at the cape and has a fantastic network throughout the region.

Hi Everyone,

The Tip will remain open, including for the tourist season, so there is no reason to change your travel plans :-)

Below is also a bit about this wet season and the fact that the Trailer Guide 2021 is out.

=============================================

In This Issue:

• The Tip Will Remain Open

• Weather and Season

• Trailer Guide Updated

Feedback Always Welcome

=============================================

THE TIP WILL REMAIN OPEN

I know that a lot of people have already heard the news, particularly the locals. But I am still getting lots of questions from hesitant travellers saying they have been starting to make alternative plans. There is no reason to do that as it has been confirmed by the local authorities that there is no aim to close the Tip.

Sorry that some wrong-doers have made this needing a mention: These newsletters are subject to the Law of Copyright - the only way to legally spread them is a link to this page or a proper Facebook share (cropping text and photos out of it to use them to build one's own Facebook post is ILLEGAL).

Traditional Owners raised their voice about disrespect, as there are no amenities at the Tip, and that was easy to turn into a media frenzy that not only confused the travellers but also threatened to damage local businesses. None of the locals want that, and facilities are being planned to be built at the Tip. Rest assured that it will not be closed so you will get to the sign and everywhere else as before.

cape york tip closure

Most people always do the right thing, but we wouldn't have the problems if everyone practiced proper bush toilet habits, and brought their rubbish out, remembering, this is the Tip of Australia, not a Rubbish Tip :-)

WEATHER AND SEASON

So, we are in the end of March, and looking back - even though there have been better wet seasons, this one has not been too bad.

2021 wet archer river
Archer crossing 2021 by Troy Walker, thank you :-)

Definitely better than the last year, with a fair bit of rain, rivers up; and a good few - albeit weak - cyclones, but they are the ones that bring more rain than the strong ones.

2021 wet season archer riverArcher crossing 2021 by Troy Walker, thank you :-)

The weather has been a little drier lately but the wet season is not finished yet and it's still cyclone season until the end of April.

TRAILER GUIDE UPDATES

And last but not least - the Trailer Guide 2021 is out, with everything that has changed since last year, updated:

* FREE camping spots on your way here from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Northern Territory that suit a trailer

* Should you bring your trailer

* The reasons why you should consider not bringing your trailer (so you can make an informed decision)

* The condition of the roads

* The timing of the gradings

* Where to leave your trailer at the bottom of the Cape – there are several FREE storage places, there are also the locked / undercover spaces, and the ones in a shed (each place with their exact prices, and whether they have conditions such as time limits or if you need to stay a few nights to use the storage service)

* Bring your trailer

* Hire a trailer

* How to avoid the damage

* How towing capacity changes when you are off road

* How to do the best adventure without your trailer: places where to leave your trailer up the Cape and go off to do the tracks (closest places to different tracks specified)

* What mechanical workshops fix trailers up the Cape, and what are the stores that have trailer accessories

* What roads and tracks are you going to get through with your trailer

* Where are the FREE camping spots on the Cape that are large enough for trailers

* Dump points – where are the public ones, and also which commercial camping grounds have them (not nearly all have one up on the Cape!)

* What commercial camping grounds / caravan parks have large / extra large sites – for each park

* And last but not least - what places actually have powered sites – the majority do not up the Cape!

All for the very cheap price of $7

Completely unique information found nowhere else.

Put together inside the Cape, based on local knowledge and first hand research (not from other books or web information - just like the full Destination Guide itself!).
destination cape york trailer supplement
If you already have the Trailer Guide, please give me an email and I will send you the latest version :-)

If you don't - the Trailer Guide (just like the Doggie and Caravan Guides) is a supplementary guide to the main Destination Guide and available inside it, as explained on this page (because of the amount of updating work involved, no other way would be viable).

FEEDBACK ALWAYS WELCOME

I really appreciate any kind of feedback on the Destination Guide.

Please let me know if you enjoyed it while planning before the trip, and while using the information once on the trip.

If you get any questions about anything, please feel welcome to contact me.

That's all for this time - happy planning, and happy travels to those on the road!!

Have a great day :-)

Katrin.

P.S. If you cannot see the photo banner in the top of this page, instead of photos you only see photo texts, and instead of links you see url addresses throughout the text, you are using email software that only reads text. Consider getting an email account with Yahoo or others that can read HTML (and remember to change your email address, which can be done in the end of every newsletter.

You are subscribed to Cape York News.

The back issues are at the following URL...
https://www.capeyorkaustralia.com/Cape_York_News-backissues.html

If you wish to remove yourself from this mailing, please click on the following URL...
https://capeyorkaustralia.com/cgi-bin/mailout/mailmgr.cgi?us=LQ.21231443.32586606.a8692198ffc23706095be2890d6e10d3
(If the above URL is not a link, copy-and-paste the URL into your Web browser. That will confirm your removal.)

To change your e-mail address, please click on the following URL...
https://capeyorkaustralia.com/cgi-bin/mailout/mailmgr.cgi?ca=LQ.21231443.32586606.a8692198ffc23706095be2890d6e10d3
(If the above URL is not a link, copy-and-paste the URL into your Web browser. That will confirm your change.)

contact@capeyorkaustralia.com
capeyorkaustralia.com
PO Box 197
Bamaga 4876 Queensland
Australia
AnswerID: 635755

Sponsored Links